Sunday, April 8, 2012

Feather Accessories


I started making these after the craze of feathers started showing up everywhere I looked. I sell them at craft fairs and online.  Occasionally, I will wear one of these to school and my students always complement me on them, so I decided to add them to my wearable art class. They quickly became a fun and VIBRANT way for the students to express themselves.  I am so happy they chose the brightest most extreme feathers they could find, mine tend to be more neutral colors and much smaller but these are just so perfect for their personalities that I couldn't have asked for more beautiful representations of each child. To make these feather accessories we....
  • cut a piece of felt into a teardrop shape
  • cut feathers where they needed to be trimmed
  • placed feathers down in rows starting with the back row and working towards the pointed side
  • glued down the feathers with a hot glue gun
  • chose a fun button to go at the point 
  • glued the hair clip to the back side
  • ACCESSORIZED! 
These really came out great and the students were so proud of them.  I know what your thinking...what about boys? Well I do have a boy in this class, he made a boutonniere which came out so fun, he chose more modest colors and we put a safety pin on the back so that he could attach it to his shirt. 

BEWARE: If you do this project, be prepared to pick up A LOT of feathers!!! They get everywhere!!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment